Kelleher Rose Garden

We are excited to pass on the news that we will be providing construction administration services on the renovation of the Kelleher Rose Garden Fountain in Boston’s historic Back Bay Fens with the Emerald Necklace Conservancy. The design of this renovation was by Victor Walker of Walker-Kluesing Design Group of Naples, Florida with assistance from RDLA.

The Kelleher Rose Garden, located in Boston’s Back Bay Fens, was originally wetlands. In the late 1880s, Frederick Law Olmsted transformed what had become a foul tidal marsh into a clean, scenic estuary. The 1910 damming of the Charles River blocked the tidal flow, changing the ecology of the area and requiring a new design by landscape architect Arthur Shurcliff.

A passion for public rose gardens swept the country in the early 1900s. In 1930, Shurcliff added a circular formal rose garden opposite the Museum of Fine Arts where the general public as well as rose enthusiasts could learn about rose culture and enjoy the flowers. The garden was an instant success. The garden was expanded in 1933 when the rectangular section was built..”